Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Director Tapping R. Kelly For “Sparkle” Remake Soundtrack


The director of the pending Sparkle remake, “The Game’s Salim Akil, is tapping R. Kelly to create a modern score for the forthcoming flick. This will undoubtedly be a difficult feat, seeing as how soul legend Curtis Mayfield penned the original. Big shoes to fill, Mr. Kelly. However, Akil believes he’s totally up for the challenge.

The director also revealed to Blackfilm.com’s Wilson Morales that he’s not entirely taking the film out of a nostalgic decade. Instead of sticking to the film’s 1950’s setting, Akil will move the storyline to 1968, “when America was going through a huge change. (Martin Luther) King was assassinated, the Beatles hit, and Motown was ruling, and there was all this change going on,” says Akil. He also revealed that the new flick will focus on women’s empowerment. “The one thing I thought I could do is bring my wife Mara (Brock Akil) onboard. What I wanted to do with women is empower them more and I think that would be the biggest change.”
Flip it to read how R. Kelly might be involved in the soundtrack.
We’re going to respect the Curtis Mayfield score, and we’re going to use some of his songs. I’m a huge fan of his work and in ‘Jumping the Broom,’ it ends with a Curtis Mayfield song. Curtis’ voice is so indicative of the times and his lyrics was so spot on. They’re not ethereal lyrics. The’re very ground lyric but with ethereal music. We’re talking to another guy who does in a lot of different ways and it will be interesting to see how people react to it. Hopefully, R. Kelly will come on and do some of the music for the film. His latest music sounds like it came from a time period. Here’s a guy who can write about a woman being a jeep to ‘I Believe I Can Fly’ and he’s an artist. Whether you like him or dislike him, I love artists, and I know that he will just go deep into it and come up with something unique.

No comments:

Post a Comment